Co-parenting and Spring Break
Spring Break can be a time of great joy and relaxation for a family. However, during and after a divorce, vacations can mean difficulties with time-sharing arrangements and a schedule that’s turned on end for the whole family. Long holidays can, therefore, be particularly difficult and often fraught with anger and frustration. A good parenting plan with specific time-sharing arrangements can help to prevent confusion and frustration and alleviate some of the stress.
If you currently have an order establishing a time-sharing arrangement you need to make sure that you carefully review the parenting plan in the order prior to the holiday. Make sure that you carefully abide by the time-sharing and communicate clearly and early with the other parent as to how each of you will abide by the arrangements. The goal is to do what is in the best interests of the children, in light of the parenting plan already established, and make some lasting memories. We have included some helpful information/ideas below to help you get started–don’t forget the camera!
Here are the dates for the local county school’s spring breaks:
Orange: March 28- April 1 (https://www.ocps.net/Pages/default.aspx)
Osceola: March 21-25 (http://www.osceola.k12.fl.us/)
Seminole: March 21-25 (http://www.scps.k12.fl.us/Home/SCPSCalendars.aspx)
Brevard: March 28- April 1 (http://www.brevard.k12.fl.us/)
If you’re looking for ideas of things to do with your children here are ten things to do in the Orlando area with your children:
- Hang out with the wildlife: Barrier Island Sanctuary in Brevard County: http://www.barrierislandcenter.com/; Suncoast Seabird Sanctuary in Pinellas County: http://www.seabirdsanctuary.com/; Archie Carr National Wildlife Refuge in Vero Beach: http://www.fws.gov/archiecarr/visiting.html;
- Take them on a hike or canoe ride in one of the local/state parks: Wekiwa Springs State Park; Blue Springs State Park; Kelly Park/Rock Springs; Lake Lotus Park; Ponce Inlet State Park;
- Visit Green Meadows Petting Farm in Kissimmee: http://www.greenmeadowsfarm.com/
- Visit the Orlando Science Center: http://www.osc.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=1
- Have breakfast and make your own pancakes at the Old Spanish Sugar Mill http://www.planetdeland.com/sugarmill/sugarpage2.htm and then take a hike through DeLeon Springs State Park: http://www.planetdeland.com/deleonsprings/
- Watch a show at the Orlando Repertory Theater: http://www.orlandorep.com/Index.aspx
- Take time to smell the roses at Leu Gardens: http://www.leugardens.org/
- Blast off at the Kennedy Space Center’s Shuttle Launch Experience: http://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/shuttle-launch-experience.aspx
- Appreciate the beauty of nature at the Butterfly Encounter: http://www.lukasnursery.com/butterfly.php
- Take them to a spring training baseball game: http://www.floridaspringtraining.com/; Atlanta Braves in Lake Buena Vista; Houston Astros in Kissimmee; Washington D.C. Nationals in Viera; New York Mets in Port St. Lucie; New York Yankees in Tampa; Detroit Tigers in Lakeland; St. Louis Cardinals in Jupiter; Florida Marlins in Jupiter; Philadelphia Phillies in Clearwater; Blue Jays in Dunedin; Pittsburgh Pirates in Bradenton; Baltimore Orioles in Sarasota; Tampa Bay Rays in Port Charlotte; Boston Red Sox in Fort Myers; Minnesota Twins in Fort Myers.
According to the Florida Statutes 61.13, there are several factors that go into deciding what the best time-sharing arrangement should be in a parenting plan. If you are in need of a temporary or permanent time-sharing arrangement, let us here at The Johnston Law Firm to assist you with this.