Proposed Alimony Statutory Changes
While it does not appear that the proposed alimony bill will pass during this legislative session, we here at The Johnston Law Firm want to let everyone know some of the concerns we have about the pending bill.
- INCREASES both need and cost of litigation.
- INCREASES attorney’s fees and costs.
- INCREASES work load on already overworked and underfunded judiciary.
- INCREASES dependence on Florida’s Social Programs because ultimately DECREASES alimony awards.
- INCREASES definition of length of marriage.
- LIMITS judicial discretion in awarding alimony.
- LIMITS type, amount and duration of alimony awards.
- LIMITS assets a Court can consider when determining alimony awards.
- LIMITS flexibility of modification of alimony awards.
As always, if you have questions about pending legislation or any other family law questions, please do not hesitate to let us know!